Monday, August 29, 2005

Mussorie

Queen of hill stations, it seems. When I decided to trek, I made up my mind, that it would be Uttaranchal, not that it would be very different from Himachal, but, because of the Har Ki Doon valley which is a popular trekking destination. I was going through Mussorie, it was the pre-base camp.

I reached Mussorie on the 1st of May by noon. The next day me and my group left to Sankri, from where the trek was to begin. I returned to Mussorie on the 13th, and I had 2 more days for my flight back to Bangalore.

Mussorie, like most other hill stations was founded by the British, who came here in summer to escape from the heat of the plains. Sir Everest ( of Mount Everest fame ), used to live here, and his bungalow is still here.

I checked into my hotel – Gharwal Terrace, which is on Mall Road. I knew Mussorie would not be very different from the other hill stations in the region, but, having got there, it thought it was unfair to get back without spending even one full day here. Gharwal Terrace, as the name suggests, over looks the Doon valley. All the rooms face the valley. In the night, the lights of Dehradun twinke, and it looks like I am looking down at a city from a aeroplane.

It was summer, so the climate at this time is nothing to write to you all about. It was hot. Mall street is the most important street, and has several hotels. This is also the main shopping area. The best wollen garments, shawls, handmade sweaters are available here. I picked up a lot of them, not because Bangalore is that cold. The colours and patterns were very good.

The antique shops here sell a large variety of lamps. I am sucker for these silly things, and I bought lots of brass hanging lamps. These will be fitted in my new home.

Also, Mussorie is famous for its wooden crafts. Local artisans make bowls, vessels, spoons, hair combs, hangers and several other things with wood. They make good give aways for friends and relatives, who will expect you to get something for you.

After freshing up the morning, I fixed a rickshaw for myself. You could also take a horse cart, if you want to. I went to the company garden first. It is very run down, and has nothing great to see. This garden is completely avoidable. The Mussorie lake is a artificial lake, and must be avoided by all means. A ride to the Camels Back Road is a must. The route is green. There is a place here, from where, you can view the Kedarnath peak and the Gangothri Sister peaks through your telescope. The telescope is there, and you can use it for Rs. 10. On a clear day, these peaks can be seen clearly without the telescope.

The other places worth visiting in Mussorie are Gun Hill ( the tallest peak in this region ). There is a rope way / cable here to reach the top. Kempty falls is also good. I visited these places on the way to Sankri and hence did not make another trip.

There is a monastery in Mussorie, and it is on a small hillock. The rickshaw would not go up hill, and I was in no mood for a walk, so gave up. The hillock is called the Flag hill, as you can see several Tibetan prayer flags fluttering all around the place, on top of the monastery.

All homes and buildings are precariously perched on mountain slopes and sides. The Mountain road department does a neat job here, by maintaining the roads on the mountain slopes.

Writer Ruskin Bond lives here and writes. You could visit him, and also Sir Everest’s home. I was tired after the long trek, and took it easy.

My friends were staying in the other hotels on Mall Road. I met them up for lunch and for dinner. The food here is nothing special. Every thing is on the menu, Chinese, Mughalai, Tandoori, Isreali, Tibetan, Continental and the regular idli dosa.

I am sure Mussorie would be nice and pleasant in the winters. Should visit some time in winter to enjoy the weather.

From Dehradun, one can go to a lot of places. Haridhwar, Rishikesh, Sahasradhara falls etc.

Getting there :

Air : Debradun ( 36 kms ) is the nearest airport.
Road : Mussorie is well connected by Roads
Rail : Dehradun is the nearest railway head.

Best time to visit : Any time. In Summer, Mussorie is like any other hot places. The only differentiating factor are the mountain roads and the greenery.

Trip duration : 1 or 2 days. Mussorie is a weekend destination for people from Delhi and Chandigarh.

Accomodation :

Gharwal Terrace, Honey Moon Inn and loads of other hotels on Mall Road.
http://www.gmvnl.com/ is the site.